July 12, 2009
Spicy Carrot Sald
This recipe comes from Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World. Slicing or julienning the carrots takes a bit of time (I used a mandoline and julienned the carrots, but it still took some time), but once that's done, the recipe takes hardly any effort at all. The caraway seeds give this a very distinctive flavor.
- 1.5 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced or julienned.
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. sweet or smoked paprika (I used smoked)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Harissa or cayenne to taste
- 12 good-quality black olives, pitted (optional - I used kalamatas)
- 1/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled (optional - I used this)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional - I skipped this since I was bringing this to a party where statistically someone wouldn't like cilantro)
- salt and pepper to taste
Posted by spaceling at 04:59 PM